~ Newberg Noon Rotary Club Newsletter ~
Rotary Club of Newberg, Zoom Meeting
Wednesday, September 21, 2022
~ Call to Order ~
Club President Becky Ankeny welcomed Rotarians and Friends of Rotary to the Hybrid Live/Zoom meeting at 12:00 p.m. Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at the Chehalem Cultural Center.
~ Flag Salute ~
Rotarians lead participants in the Pledge of Allegiance.
~ 4 Way Test ~
Christy lead participants in the recital of the 4 Way Test:
Rotary’s Four Way Test of the things we think, say and do:
#1 – Is it the TRUTH?
#2 – Is it FAIR to all concerned?
#3 – Will it BUILD GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
#4 – Is it BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
~ Announcements ~
Auction Committee – We are now nearly 5 weeks away and A LOT of work yet to do. So please consider joining the committee meetings after our club meetings and helping the team build an amazing Auction. Please see Michelle and sign up to help out in some way. Also now is a good time to begin finding procurements (let Dan K know if you have any relevant connections you plan to reach out to). Every meeting will include opportunities to check in about the auction, sign up for a role, and hear updates from the Co-Chairs. Please go out and find auction items! IF you will be contributing something yourself, please connect with Dan and let him know (email@example.com).
- The Event: The auction will be October 28, 2022 (SAVE THE DATE) at the Chehalem Cultural Center.
- The Theme: This is our 50th Annual Auction, so the Committee has chosen the 1950’s for the theme.
- Dan K’s GOLDEN TICKET CHALLENGE: Dan K Will be buying the very first of 100 Golden Tickets for Sale for $100. Any Rotarian who either contributes an auction item themselves or procures an item from a friend, family, or business will need to let Dan K know and their name will be entered into a drawing to WIN THAT GOLDEN TICKET! Remember, up to 100 Golden Tickets will be sold, and at the Auction, one ticket will be drawn and the owner of that ticket gets to select ANY of our amazing and quite valuable Live Auction items. The sale of these tickets are the portion of the Auction that supports Club Activity. You do not need to be at the event to win.
- TICKETS ARE NOW ON SALE ONLINE! GO REGISTER! www.newbergrotary.org/auction
- GOLDEN TICKETS ARE ON SALE! In person OR Online!
DAN K PROCUREMENT UPDATE!!!: Big Thank You to the following who have donated an item/package to the auction
- Thank You to Julie and Walter Want who are donating a print art.
- Thank You to The Dundee Hotel is donating a night in one of their beautiful rooms.
- Thank you to Broadway Rose Theatre, in Tigard, for donating a 2 tickets to any of next year’s shows.
- Thank you to Ilani Casino who is will be doing another dinner and a Concert for two.
- Thank you to St. Paul Rodeo who is will be donating 4 passes to next years opening day performance at the Rodeo.
- Thank you to Matt Nelson, Owner of the Newberg Advantage, who is will be a partnering sponsor.
- Thank you to Wildlife Safari who is donating tickets to the Safari.
- Thank you to All American Cleaning Services who is will be donating pressure washing services.
- Thank you to Nobuko Okura who is will be donating a beautiful and majestic piece of stained glass art.
- Thank you to Chehalem Parks and Rec who is will be donating 18 holes for 4 at Chehalem Glenn Golf Course.
- Thank you to Chehalem Parks and Rec who is will be donating a quarterly family pass for the Chehalem Aquatic and fitness Center.
- Thank you to Kathie Byers who is will be donating a big, fabulous Dinner.
- Thank you to McMenamens who will be donating a $50 Gift Card to any of their locations.
~ Guests ~
Jeff M, Guest, good friend of Michelle
Robin S, Guest, Owner of Social Goods
Melody M, Guest, Jim’s Wife
Marni Tilrico, Guest Speaker
~ The Rotary Duck ~
Jim: Noted that next week will be at Ewing Young Distillery, which is a beautiful venue. He remembered that last time we did a Rotary meeting there it was pouring down rain. But this time should be great weather and really nice and relaxing.
Becky: Reminded us to please find sponsors for the auction, which should be directed towards Spike and Geoff. Also noted there is a Rotary event on the 24th. Additionally, she noted that we officially met our goal and were awarded a Rotary Citation. Also noted that we have lost 10 members since we set our goal for this year, so we need to be on the lookout for new members. Additionally, Denise is still ill in the hospital.
Mike: Shared that this is the first day of Fall, and is the International Day of Peace. Campaign Nonviolence will feature a schedule and details of nonviolent events, celebrations, and protests/demonstrations. He also gave us some peace updates from Rotary International. He also gave in honor of Polio Plus Day.
Scott: Celebrated 19 years of marriage to his lovely wife.
Jim: He noted that his wife recently retired, but is coaching at Linfield.
Walter: Noted that Becky found an old Newspaper from 1978, which has an article about Walter’s running for school board way back when. He did not win that election.
Dan K: Invited everyone to keep working towards finding items. He also noted that tickets to the auction and golden tickets are now available for purchase online.
Madeline: Noted that we need items by October 14th or so to give us time to load them into the software.
Auggie: Had a picture of Jim and Melody from Guatamala in his camera roll. Last week he did a video for Denise, but he realized he messed up and just took a photo.
Rick: Announced that his coffee tables are just about ready. He plans to have them in by the 14th as well as some other things. Also noted that Evergreen Aviation has some items for us coming soon.
Kim: Reminded us that the Grand Opening of Caliber Home Loans will be having their Grand Opening on Friday.
Lisa: Was so happy to give the glass to Rick to create something. She also noted that she has been missing meetings from being so busy at work and at home. She also just celebrated 30 years of marriage and finally went to Hawaii. She encouraged us all to get out on a trip to recharge.
Madeline: Reminded us that this Saturday, the 24th, Madel Rush Elementary will be holding its auction at the Cultural Center. Madeline has extra seats for anyone who wants to join her.
~ Today’s Program: Travels to Poland with Marni Tilrico ~
Marni Tilrico, who is related by marriage to Laura, is an ER RN who recently traveled to Poland to help with the effort to assist Ukrainian refugees. Marni thanked the club for funding her airfare for her trip to Poland, noting it was a dream come true and one of the most personally shaking experiences of her life. She brought the club some Polish easter eggs as a gift that were made in Poland. She noted that Laura really went to every connection she could to help make this trip happen when she was unable to find out how. She boarded a plane to Poland with little idea of how to find opportunities to help. Her taxi driver pointed out where the emergency shelter tents were and Marni was able to get to work on her first day. She began with distributing water to refugees as well as serving food thereafter. She noted how generous the Polish citizens were, even those with little resources. She started in Warsaw, Poland helping out. Marni showed many amazing photos of her experience and shared stories of other volunteers, who came from all over the world just as she did. She loved meeting everyone and leaning about their lives and where they came from. In spite of the danger involved, she and her fellow volunteers stayed and continued to help out.
Check your e-mails for Zoom meeting access information, special announcements, and newsletter release notifications.
~ Joke of the Day ~
How do you talk to an amoeba?
With a micro-phone.
~ Happy Quotes! ~
“Everybody can be great because everybody can serve.”
– Martin Luther King Jr
~ Published 10/12/2022: Dan Keuler, Newsletter Editor ~