Newberg Noon Rotary Club Newsletter for April 17, 2019
Editor’s message: I was out-of-town taking care of some urgent business in S. Oregon, so the information in this newsletter is derived directly from notes taken by others….mostly Lisa Salmons….with photos by Auggie, to both of whom I give MUCH THANKS!
This was another great FIELD TRIP…this time to the Newberg School District Offices.
Guest: Our presenter’s wife, Isabelle Aguilar
- Thank you NSD! We gathered at the Newberg School District office and Judy led us in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President, Om Sukheenai, shared proud moments! Paris, Om’s daughter, received $750 with her bullet proof backpack project at a New Venture Championship/ University of Oregon. Paris will be earning her CNA certification through her participation in the CNA program offered at NHS. She will be attending University of Portland’s School of Nursing. Later, Todd Engle shared that the CNA program, in partnership with Friendsview, will be funded by the district.
- Lynn Montoya Quinn shared PCC’s Patio Project workshop, Open to anyone interested in learning how to build a patio. For more information go to www.pcc.edu/newberg
- Joe Morelock shared the Chehalem Valley Watershed Project’s Sandbox Project and encouraged everyone to try out the display. Displays were built by students on display throughout the schools.
- Judy Robinson gave an update on the NHS tree planting project. The last tree will be planted today!
- Tony Lelack is collecting snacks for students. If you would like to donate snacks please reach out to Tony. email@example.com.
- Lisa Salmons shared several volunteer opportunities at Providence Newberg for youth and adults. If anyone would like to learn more or knows someone wanting to serve at the medical center they can contact Lisa at Lisa.Salmons@Providence.org.
- Reminder: Ryla applications will be accepted until May 31. http://www.ryladistrict5100.org/application/
- Youth Exchange students are fundraising for ShelterBox by offering gala dinner night at Subterra on Wednesday May 1st, 2019 at 6 pm. Admission is $75; $40 goes to Shelter Box and $35 goes to Subterra. Please contact Michele Bechtold at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 25
- Mike Caruso with a sandwich box instead of our purple Duck and raised $99 for polio.
Todd Engle shared a Rotary Moment and great connection story with a club member who helped make a connection with Luke Neth.
New Newberg Noon Rotary Member
Newest member, Angel A. Aguilar gave a wonderful and touching presentation. If you missed this you definitely need to connect with Angel to learn about him. He left Cuba at age 8 to Boston. His teen pictures were full of life with his fashion, hair style, car, etc. His childhood background, perseverance, career path from military, realtor to loan banker, and love for his wife and our country were amazing. He joins Rotary with a mission in his heart to give back. Angel is the Branch Manager, V.P. at First Federal. We’re very pleased to have Angel join NNR!
Angel is exemplary of Rotary President’s motto/advice for 2018-2019 :
~ Be The INSPIRATION! ~